Saturday, March 21, 2009

First day of spring, March 20th

Yesterday, for the first day of Spring I went up to Konan, on the other side of Naogya where Selkirk’s partner college is. There I visit John Armstrong (a Selkirk ELS instructor who is working at Konan College) and his wife, Shoko. They live in a one-bedroom apartment on the 10th floor, of one of the two apartment buildings in that city. There was quiet a nice view from there… I could even see a snow-capped mountain in the distance!
Shoko prepared red rice and miso soup for lunch, mmm mmm… Then we went to Inuyama castle in the next town over. It is a beautiful wooden castle beside the river which is about 400 years old. And up until a few years ago, it was still privately owned, but now belongs to a foundation so we could go inside and take a tour. We also took a walk along the river on the way back and the cherry blossoms are just starting to come out!
In the evening we all went for dinner at Dr.Kondo’s place (a Japanese doctor who knows many of the Selkirk ESL instructors from when they lived in Konan). His wife, Michie prepared a beautiful and most delicious dinner!! First was fish, mushroom, etc. etc. tempura dish with side vegetables and sauces and then a chicken curry rice. For dessert, fresh strawberries! I stayed at John and Shoko’s place that night because it was too late to take the train/subway/bus back to Nisshin (about an hour and a half commute).
This morning (March 21st) we went to a street market and then I came home to International House. I have just about settled in here, I just need an electronic dictionary, a cell phone and bank account (I will have to wait until I have me alien registration card for those) and a camera (my must have fallen out in one of the airports on the way here).

No comments:

Post a Comment