Last week we started classes at NUFS. Here are some pictures of the main courtyard outside the university.
I am in Level 101 of the Japanese Language Program. There are 10 people in the class who all speak different languages! Annakaren and Nelia (the Mexicans) speak Spanish, Marya (the Mexican American) also speaks Spanish, Anis (the Arab American) speaks Arabic, Quenton (the African American) speaks Portuguese, Andy (the Chinese American) speaks Mandarin, Alexis (the Australian) speaks Australian English, Rosie (the Georgian) speaks Southern American English, Jacques (the Frenchman) speaks French and then there's me (the Canadian) who speaks Spanish, Canadian English, and Canadian French. Everyone has studied more Japanese than I have (about 1 or 2 semesters at university), but I did some studying before classes started so I'm keeping up so far, I just lack vocabulary.
Every morning from 9:10-12:20 we have language classes (based out of one main text book and a Kanji, Chinese characters writing system book). Every morning we start with a vocabulary quiz for the lesson we will study that day. We have a different instructor each day even though it it one continuous course (except on Friday when we study in separate Kanji classes for the first block and have conversation class in the second block). All the instructors are really nice. Classes are conducted completely in Japanese which is challenging, but a very good way to learn the language quickly. English is only used for a word or two at a time to clarify points we haven't understood.
Next week we will start the culture classes (90 minute-long lectures that happen once a week). I plan to sit in on 4 next week and then decide which ones I want to stick with. They are given in English and are open for Japanese students to register for as well. The ones I am interested in are about International Relations, Japanese politics, business, art and culture. Japanese students also start classes next week, so the university is going to be bustling soon I imagine!
No comments:
Post a Comment