Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Language Lounges

Here at NUFS we have language lounges during lunch hour (12:20-1:20). A certain room is set aside for each language (English, Japanese, French, Spanish, Chinese, Korean and Portuguese). I went to the French one on Monday, the Spanish one on Tuesday and the French one again today!! It's so much fun meeting Japanese students who are studying the languages and speaking with the students from France, Quebec and Mexico! And I am paid for the time that I spend in the language lounges as a tutor! I love it! It's great to share my knowledge of the language with the Japanese students and good too because I still cannot communicate very well in Japanese, so it's a way to talk with students here without always using English. I will go to the French on again on Friday!
In the French language lounge there are around 15 Japanese students and 8 French-speakers. The French students from last semester said it will probably get pretty crowded! In the Spanish lounge, there were 5 Spanish-speakers (the 2 girls from Mexico, Mayra, me and an English intructor from the States) and only one Japanese student showed up. But it is the first week, so hopefully more students will come. The one students' name is Daisuke and he's actually a French major, but has started studying Spanish too! So whenever he got stuck on a word, he asked me what it was in French, fun fun! And then I ended up at his table in the French lounge today! There was a Japanese girl at the table too, and I think her nickname is Maimo (sweet potato?). They invited me out for Japanese food one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment