One post is not enough to describe what a wonderful time Lizzie and I spent with the host family in Asahikawa, but with limited internet and many things to do, I will try to give a good overview at least.
Keiko, Makoto, their son Ryosuke (8) and daughter Yu (5) all came to meet me off the bus from Monbetsu on Monday at noon and we went straight to the airport to pick Lizzie up. I have known Lizie since I was born however, we moved away from Vancouver when I was just 2. In fact, exactly 22 years ago we were bouncing around in our moms' tummies while they were at prenatal jazzercise classes together. We later became penpals and met up occasional when our parents would visit each other. I was thrilled when she said she would come visit me in Japan.
In the 3 days that we stayed with the host family in Asahikawa, we managed to fit in so much, it was incredible! On the first day, Keiko taught us the basics of tea ceremony, we all went to a sake brewery together and danced at the elementary school Bon Festival in the evening before sitting down to a delicious home-cooked meal!
Day 2 saw us swetting it out at the zoo, watching enviously and penguins and polar bears swam in the refreshing pools. We also got to see lots of monkeys! For lunch we went to a sushi bar and I have finally found someone who shares my passion for strange foods! Lizzie and I ate several kinds of raw fish, raw squid, raw sea urchin, fish eggs, crab brains and cow toungue! And it didn't cost us a fortune either, just $12.00 each!
In the afternoon the 2 of us sang our hearts out at karaoke while sipping on some refreshing plum and apricot wine. We wandered Asahikawa before making our way home. Along the way, we bought a bottle of plum wine to share with everyone at dinner. Keiko made chilled soba noodles and Lizzie practiced her gradually improving chopsticks skills!
On our 3rd day, we had natto (fermented soy beans) with raw egg yolk for breakfast. Lizzie gave it a try, but like me, couldn't stomach it the first time. I am proud to say that I have done a full 360 and now like it so much I have it for breakfast every morning (minus the raw egg though). Before heading out, we went to the temple across the road to take some pictures.
For the rest of the day, we went to little cafe in Naka Furano which coincidently is the same place that the 2 girls from Taiwan WWOOFed before coming to Monbetsu!! There we ate a delicious organic lunch and picked berries in the afternoon with Keiko's friend and her kids. Since it was in the same area, we stopped by my next 2 WWOOF placements in Kami Furano on the way home. They both seemed like beautiful places!
Before returning home, we went shopping and Lizzie and I did DDR (Dance Dance Revoluntion) at the archade... oh my, so fun! Keiko and Ryosuke tried the Taiko Dumming one. For dinner, we ate Tonkatsu and had blueberries on ice cream.
No comments:
Post a Comment