Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Ups and Downs

First the good stuff - I got into the kanji class that I wanted to! This week we started language classes and I like the style, challenging, but not boring or overwhelming. We also had a meeting for language lounges today and I can work as a tutor in the French and Spanish lounges like I did last semester.
Now for the not so good news... even though I'm trying to stay positive, having had bronchitis for a the past 3 weeks, it's getting me down. It's no fun to be woken up 5 or 6 times a night by intense coughing fits that leave me gasping for breath. It's frustrating and exhausting. I'm keeping on top of homework and other duties, but I haven't been able to do any extra studying so I won't be writing the Japanese Language Proficiency Test in December. It'll just have to wait for another year.
I spent the whole weekend trying to relax and get better. I watched 7 or 8 episodes of Gilmore Girls! It just feels like such a waste of my time, I want to be productive! I want to achieve things... arg!
Maybe my brain is getting the best of me, maybe it thinks too much and my body is trying to tell it to slow down. This is the 3rd time I've been sick this year, not to mention my back and digestive problems worsening. I figure that no one can have everything so while I am good with languages, I am unlucky when it comes to health even if I eat well, etc. So I guess the moral of the story is that everyone has their ups and downs and we should each be thankful for what we do have. I am still so happy to be in Japan and have such a fabulous opportunity to study the language and experience the culture. I hope I get better soon so I can make the most out of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment