Today proved to be a perfect occasion to use a word that I learned last week: "subarashi" - wonderful! I had a simply fabulous time with Katsutoshi and Hiromi Suzuki and Esha. We first went to a ceramics workshop in Gifu prefecture, on the other side of the mountains from where the Suzukis live in Kasugai. The shop was a beautiful, peaceful place on the side of Tiger Valley Mountain, over-looking the city of Tajimi.
Esha and I each made 3 pieces on the wheel while Hiromi made a large water basin. We started with a Japanese-style tea bowl. I then made a small plate and with my last piece, had some fun which turned into a triangle pinch-pot, he he! It was so nice to shape the soft clay with our hands. When finished we chose which one piece we wanted to buy and what glaze we would like to put on it. They will be sent to us in about 2 months. I'm so excited to see how they turn out! I decided to keep the little plate because it was so cute. Then on the way home, Katsutoshi told us they had bought us each another one of the pieces we had made! So I will be getting my tea bowl too! :)
After playing with the clay, we went upstairs to a little lunch room and Hiromi brought out a lunch they had packed, complete with sandwiches, sushi, fruit, sweets and green tea! She brought her portable tea set and did a tea ceremony for Esha and me! Everything was very interesting and super delicious! They are such generous people!
No comments:
Post a Comment