Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday bike ride around Sobue town






This story actually begins on Saturday night in Nagoya where I visited Mayu at work. She works in a small ECC Centre (Foreign Language Institute) as a secretary and English teacher. When she finished work around 7:00pm, we went out for dinner at a Hawaiian restaurant (need I say that it was delicious?). From there we took 2 trains back to her town and I stayed at her house overnight. I met her whole family, mother, sister, 88-year old grandmother, father and grandfather. They were all very nice and didn't stop complementing my Japanese.
This morning, her mom had prepared a beef stew-like dish, salad and bread for breakfast. It's customary in Japan to eat savory things for breakfast. They live right across from a small shrine, so we visted it before heading out on our bike ride. Our first stop was at bargain store that Mayu used to work at and I found Holey Soles! Well, a cheap brand of Crocs, but I was so excited!! I bought 2 pairs and they are so comfy!
For lunch, we went to the little food court in a small shopping centre (rather like Chako Mika Mall!). I had shrimp tempura with rice while Mayu had raw ramen noodles. We also tried some dango (rice flour balls with sweet sauces).
Our next stop was at a famous temple that Mayu had never visited before. First, we put some coins in a box and touched a tall wooden pole decorated Chinese symbols for good luck. In the temple, there were many trinkets for sale, such as charms, bracelets, scripts and candles. We went down a narrow stair case into a pitch black hallway under the main flour. We had to follow the wall with our right hand until we reached an illuminated miniature set up of Buddha figurines. There we banged a metal bar, threw a coin in, prayed and banged the bar a few more times.
Back on the main floor, we lifted a stone statue of a deity and supposedly if it was light, our wish would be granted. For me it was heavy, but as I went to put it down, it helped me realize that I had the power to make my wish come true. Lastly, we stood before a monk, with a flower petal-shaped paper between our hands in prayer position as he recited a mantra and touch a cloth-wrapped round-shaped something to our heads. It is believed that God usually sits upon this particular type of flower and that this is a way to connect with God. It's very hard to express all this - Mayu had trouble translating and I am not familiar with the religious terms in English either.
At the entrance of the temple, there was also a lounging bronze statue of a deity which people could touch and touch they did! On the way out, we sampled many of the Japanese snacks for sale at the stands. A lady that Mayu used to work with treated us to an ice cream at the stand she was working at. Blueberry frozen yogourt! So refreshing on a hot, sunny day.
Our last stop was at a nearby park with a large ship-shaped playground and a 70m-long slide!! We had to give it a try... twice! Finally we collapsed on the grass! in the shade of a tree. Mmm... so relaxing.
Back at home, I made myself some waffles with with a Granny-Smith apple that I bought on sale for about $1.15. Apples are so good, I miss them! And my family and friends too. Happy birthday Gram!

No comments:

Post a Comment