Well, we get a holiday this week! It's 10:30pm and the residence caretaker just got a call from the university that it will be closed tomorrow (Friday) because of the swine flu (please don't worry, I'll take care not to get it, and in any case, people here tend to overreact). I don't have to study kanji tonight, so I have time to write about last night's Canada Day celebrations!
I invited a bunch of my friends out to a bar in Nagoya that was celebrating Canada Week! They had Ceasars, Canadian beer, whiskey, and B52s on special... but best of all, they had poutine!! It wasn't made with the right kind of cheese, but it was still crazy delicious! I blew up some balloons my mom sent me and gave everyone a Canadian flag pin. We all introduced ourselves in 4 different languages!
In the end, there were 25 people in our group, from all around the world! We squished into a table for 16, lol. Keisuke and Jun came with a few of their friends, including a student who is going to Selkirk in September. Yuka (the RA here) came with some friends from her Canadian studies class. And I even got the 3 guys from Quebec to celebrate with us, along with the students from France and the French Studies students. Since the servers were Japanese and Argentinian, I got pretty confused which of the 4 languages I was supposed to be speaking to who!
It was so much fun just hanging out with everyone, listening to Canadian music, with hockey on in the background and we sang the anthem, in English and French with some other Canadians who were there. All in all, it was a great way to spend Canada Day, with all my international friends at a bar in Japan!
No comments:
Post a Comment