Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Grand Adventure begins...




After a late night of packing and various other preparations, I woke up early on July 21st to begin my 7-week summer journey around Japan and Korea. With by 30-pound backpack on my back and using one of my 5 Japan Rail day passes, I rode the local trains North along to coast during 6 hours until I reached Izu-shi (Nelson`s sister city) on Shizuoka peninsula.
There I was greated by Atsumi-san, a member of the Nelson/Izu-shi Frienship Society with who I had arranged the visit by email. Toru-san , my host father, met us there too and drove me to their house about 10 minutes from the station, in the rolling hills. This area is really quite pretty, with the hills and streams. It has been cloudy the whole time I`ve been here but if it wasn`t, you can see Mount Fuji from here.
That evening, we made dinner and waited until Toru`s wife, Yoshiko-san came home from her job as a high school English teacher. Toru is a semi-retired electrician, their son, who I met last night, works with computers and their daughter is living in Vancouver with her Canadian husband, working together in the movie industry. I`m staying in a guest room beside the main house and their big garden. For the past few days we have been eating fresh tomatoes, cucumber, blueberries, etc. from the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment