My friend Vanessa from Australia came with me to Dr.Kondoh's house in Konan on Saturday and we stayed overnight. Dr.Kondoh's wife, Michie's sister and brother-in-law arrived for a visit Saturday as well.
We all helped out with dinner, Vanessa and I peeled wild bamboo shoots! The Kondohs often go into the mountains in Gifu and pick wild plants to cook! It was definitely the best meal I've had here yet! We started with some delicious cooked salads and seafood sashimi, including sea urchin! Then came the wild plant tempura which was amazing and just as we were getting so full we thought we couldn't eat anymore, she served us soup... before the main course! And the main course was... steak!!! Steak barely exists here and is very expensive. Vanessa had been craving it since we got here! And I truly believe it was the best steak of my life! Very nicely done, wrapped in bacon, with roasted garlic and sauteed spinach. Oh dear, it's 11:30 at night and I'm hungry all over again just writing about it! And I nearly forgot dessert!! Three different cakes from a cake shop! Mmmm...
The next morning, we had rice, leftovers, and eggs for breakfast. So delicious. Vanessa and I went for a walk to Konan College (Selkirk's sister college) just a few blocks away! There we watched some of a soccer game at the community sports center field. Back at the house I helped prepare for lunch while Vanessa went to Inuyama Castle with Dr.Kondoh and the guests. For lunch we had Yakitori (roast chicken kabobs) and 2 types of mochi (gooey rice flour balls with yummy sweet sauces on them), roasted over an outdoor grill.
All in all, we had a fabulous and delicious time at their place!
No comments:
Post a Comment