Monday, May 11, 2009

Little World






Little World is a park near here in which there are displays from many different countries, including the traditional houses, churches, temples and restaurants. I went there with an international student association. There were many international students from Nagoya University and Aichi Gakuin University. I met so many interesting people from China, Hungary, Mozambique, Mexico, Peru, Papa New Guinea, Argentina, etc. Most of them have come here to do their Master's Degree! Many courses are offered in English at Nagoya University but some of the students have learned Japanese and are taking courses in Japanese.
Little World is in a rural, hilly area, it's so beautiful and green! First we made lunch in groups, Spanish Paella! Then we had a few hours to walk around the park and visit the various displays. It's a very interesting place with lots to see and do. We didn't have very much time though so I wasn't able to visit all the "countries." I would like to go again (maybe in the fall when it's not so hot!) and enjoy some of the food from the cultural cafes there and try on the traditional outfits from the different places.
Back in Nagoya I met up with Mari for dinner. It's the first time that I've seen her since she met me at the airport. We went to an Izakaya (Japanese-style restaurant). The servers there have a very interesting way of communicating with each other and the cooks. When an order's up, they all holler in unison, maybe a confirmation of the order and some polite words along with it? We ate Tebasaki (chicken wings that Nagoya is known for). We also had had a sweet omelet-type thing with Mentaico (fish eggs).
Overall it was fabulous, cultural day!

No comments:

Post a Comment